Hey, Scott here.
If you are new to my site and wondering what the heck this page is, here’s the deal:
I started my personal finance blog in March 2015. I never intended to make money with my blog. I wanted to work on my show, write books, finance courses, do some public speaking, and maybe someday write some kick-butt piece of software.
I published an average of two articles per week on my blog, never once focusing on making money. One day (September 2016) I realized how my website had grown over the past seventeen months. I spent some time optimizing my blog to make money and made $11,400 in less than three weeks.
That was crazy (it still blows me away), so I started blogging about blogging. I write these reports for a few reasons:
- To encourage and help you start your own blog or side hustle if it’s something you’ve been considering. By writing about what I’ve learned works and doesn’t work, you get the benefit of that knowledge. You can also avoid all the crap products I’ve wasted money on.
- To prove there is room for new bloggers to make money. I started in 2015 – which is pretty late to the game.
- Because I love talking about websites. Almost as much as I love talking about personal finance on my show, or my cats.
I hope you find these reports helpful. Let’s dig in…
Note: Some of the links below are affiliate links. All of the products listed below are products and services we’ve used before. If you have any questions about any of the income or expenses you can leave a comment and we’ll do our best to reply.
Product Income – $938.68
Affiliate Income – $23,359.33
These are all of the affiliate programs I participate in and earn money from. They are listed in alphabetical order. The reason I don’t break out the income for each affiliate is because my business is different than yours.
This list gives you an idea of the types of companies you can earn money online from through affiliate sales.
- Amazon Associates
- Bluehost (click here for my tutorial on how to make money blogging)
- Lead Pages
- Long Tail Platinum
- Optin Monster
- Social Warfare
- Survey Companies
- Theme Forest
Expenses – $1,680.56
- Contractors and Staff – $550.00
- MailChimp – $75.00
- Microsoft Office 365 – $10.81
- Adobe Creative Cloud – $32.46
- Long Tail Platinum (keyword research) – $37.00
- Speak Pipe (leave voicemail via website) – $7.00
- Dropbox – $10.65
- Libsyn (podcast hosting) – $30.00
- Google Business – $16.66
- Facebook Ads – $877.08
- AWS – $21.05
- Adobe Stock Photography – $5.35
- Shipping (for books) – $2.61
- Critical CSS – $4.89
Net Income for November: $22,617.45
Note that doesn’t include taxes or health insurance which I have to pay myself for being self-employed.
I took a week off in November and spent Thanksgiving at the beach in Mexico. Because I like to write, I busted out 10,000 words for some of the new blogging articles. Just another reason why I love what I do. Work or don’t work. Work from anywhere. Help people.
As you can see from my income report I burned another chunk of change on Facebook. I have no idea why I waste my time with Facebook advertising. Sometimes you’ll make money, it seems like free money, and you try something you wouldn’t do if you didn’t have the money to begin with. Stupid.
How did I do on last month’s goals?
As I mentioned I get a lot of questions on blogging so I decided to be a nice guy and write a bunch of content on blogging. Done. I’m not spending any more time in the near future writing blogging articles. If I didn’t answer it in one of these, well…let’s just say I probably did. I wrote enough content for a book.
- How To Make Money Blogging – The Ultimate Guide!
- 151 Ways To Get More Traffic To Your Blog
- How To Start A Blog – Free Step-by-Step Guide
- 10 Mental Mistakes Bloggers Make And How To Fix Them
- 10 Mistakes Bloggers Make And How To Fix Them
- Become a better speaker. I started spending a lot more time reading about speaking and listening to great speakers. I changed the format of my show to fit the radio broadcast clock. My show is now super-tight. While I extended my show an extra 10-minutes, I’m spending less time doing it because of efficiency improvements.
Grow my show. Nope. I made a few website changes to increase listenership but they haven’t worked. While I did try, it didn’t work. Promote my book more.Nope. Didn’t touch this.
- Create more blog related content. Crushed this one. Now I hope I’ll get less questions on ‘how do I start’ because I wrote a massive article on ‘How Do I Start Blogging‘.
- Pick my first project to work on in January.
- Learn more about SEO. I get most of my traffic from Google and I’m focused on growing my site that way.