This burger reminds me of growing up in New England. Fresh maple syrup from the local sugar houses, Vermont cheddar cheese. Mmmm. Add to it thick slices of applewood smoked bacon and you’ll be serving up a winner.
- 2 pounds of 80/20 or 85/15 ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (not imitation!)
- 4 tablespoons of course ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Package Cabot’s White Extra Sharp Cheddar (or any sharp white cheddar)
- 4 kaiser rolls, sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- Package of thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- Bag of baby arugula
- 1 red onion
- Cook the bacon.
- Mix up the ingredients for the maple glaze.
- Slice the cheese into 1/4 inch slices (about double the size of pre-sliced cheese) so you have at least 12 slices.
- Mix the burger ingredients in a small bowl. Make 4 patties 1/2 inch thick. Make a thumbprint in the middle of each patty and place 1 tablespoon of butter in the center, covering with the beef (think jelly donut). Season both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice the buns and butter the cut side with a brush.
- Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer registers 155 degrees in the center of the burger (about 4-5 minutes each side on medium-high heat, turning once). After turning the burger brush on the maple glaze repeatedly until all the glaze is used up.
- During the last minute of grilling put 2-3 slices of cheese on the top of each burger to melt. A good rule is to put the cheese on when the burgers are 145 degrees on the inside.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and immediately put the buns butter-side down on the grill. Toast for 45-60 seconds.
- If the bacon has cooled, put it in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Assemble your masterpiece – bottom bun + arugula + burger + bacon + top bun.
How To Get Started Investing
The international bestseller by CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Scott Alan Turner. Choose the right accounts & investments so your money grows for you – automatically. No jargon, confusion, or pie in the sky promises. Just a proven plan that works.