Growing up a grilled cheese sandwich consisted of white wonder bread and orange Kraft cheese slices. Though I’m now a food snob I still love simple meals. And simple meals that taste good are a great way to save money on groceries.
For a quick meal that tastes great try out this grilled cheese recipe. I bought everything at Walmart (my normal grocery store). If you just need to feed the kids or want to invite your food snob friends over for a ‘gourmet sandwich‘ to save money over eating out, this recipe is a winner.
Shopping list for the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Sourdough bread – $2.97
- Applewood smoked bacon – $7.44
- Challenge hormone-free butter – $3.97
- Cabbot sharp white cheddar cheese – $3.98
*Notes: The ingredient list is more expensive than it seems. You’ll need 1/4 stick of butter, which is about $0.50. I cooked 1/3 pack of bacon – so you can freeze the rest or use it in another meal.
Bread – Look for the bread in the bakery section – not the Wonder bread section. You’ll want a fresh loaf either pre-sliced or whole.
You might also consider throwing in some sliced tomatoes or a leafy green (not iceberg lettuce). At least you can say you at a vegetable.
Do you really need instructions? It’s a sandwich.
- Cook the bacon.
- Slice the bread if it’s not pre-sliced.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Place a layer of cheese and layer of bacon in between two slices of bread.
- Cook on a panini press or in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook till bread is golden brown. If cooking in a skillet turn and cook on each side.
- Serve with a side of chips, because there isn’t enough fat in butter, cheese, and bacon.
Take a picture of your magical feast and post it to Instagram. Make sure to tag me – @scottalanturner